Here is the default meeting note template I use in OneNote and EverNote. It has evolved over several years, but this version has stuck for a significant time. It allows for searches based on attendees, topics, dates, agenda, etc.
- Typically filled in by the note-taking system (OneNote, EverNote, etc)
Scheduler / Requester:
- The person who requested or schedule the meeting
- Full list of participants and any relevant information about them.
- For example, title, department, vendor, etc.
Agenda / Goals:
- Very specific set of topics to discuss
- Very specific set of goals to be accomplished
- This should also be part of the meeting invite.
- Notes taken during the meeting.
- Don’t interrupt speakers with questions, write them down here so they can be addressed at an appropriate time.
- Put questions here before the meeting that should be discussed.
- Document any decisions made in the meeting.
- This can not be stressed enough, undocumented decisions didn’t happen.
Other People’s Deliverables:
- Keep track of task assignments.
- Dates can be assigned here.
- This is where the note takers deliverables and dates go.
- I typically move these to a system that is used to keep track of tasks.
- If a system such as EveryNotes is used, these can be checkboxes which allow searching for “Uncompleted Tasks"